STARTER SITUATION

1985 BMW 528e • 6 cylinder 2WD Manual • 160,000 miles

I have a 1985 528e bmw. When I turn the key to start the car it does nothing. All instrument panel lights come on but I hear nothing on the starter
Quasio

If its not a security system issue-Could be the starter, starter relay, transmission position switch and ignition switch assuming the battery condition and connections are good.

What do you mean security system issue? Alarm? It doesn't have one. Have a new battery, connections are good and tight. Not sure where the Starter relay is. Is there a way that I can test to see if it is the starter?

Quasio
Rasmataz, could it be the switch on the clutch pedal? Would that be the tran, position switch?

Quasio
Disconnect the clutch switch and jumper the connector and see what happens

Still nothing

Quasio
There is a relay module that works in conjuction with the OBC that interrupts power flow to the starter. It is in the under dash area. The large black wire with the yellow stripe is the trigger wire to the starter, putting power to that wire should energize the starter. Follow the flow with that and see what happens.

Dr. Hagerty