HOW DO I REMOVE THE AC COMPRESSOR BELT?

1984 Volvo 242 • 108,000 miles

There are 2 Fan belts, 1 AC Compressor belt and 1 Power Steering belt. The Fan and PS both have 10mm bolts that can be loosened to remove the belts. However, the AC Compressor looks stationary and lives below the PS unit. I believe this is a newer compressor installed 3 years ago when the AC system was upgraded. I can't figure out how to loosen the tension on that belt.
WoodstockCT

Crank pully two piece ie. Split see the 6 or so bolts in center of pully. See diagram unbolt each little at a time front pully will come off and belt see shims that is how to adjust remove to tighten add to loosen

Docfixit
That front crank pulley (bottom right) is for the PS belt. So, loosen those 6 bolts and remove and that will reveal the compressor pulley on the backside. Are the shims there?

WoodstockCT
Yes remove 6 bolts then front of pullt comes off and belt will need to remove PS belt to remove AC belt from engine

Docfixit
Still will need to loosen the PS unit up above also, correct. That will take the tension off the PS pulley, right?

WoodstockCT
Doc - Seems to be a problem for me to remove these 6 bolts as there is no way to access the nuts? See snapshop of the front of the ac compressor. Any idea?

WoodstockCT
I'm figuring you really meant to say the crankcase pulley instead of the compressor pulley. I'll go that route. Here is the photo it's the one at the bottom LEFT (same in your diagram) not the bottom right.

WoodstockCT
I did say crank pully

Docfixit
Yes, you did. Thanks again.

WoodstockCT
Woodstock, did you get this taken care of?

Rivermikerat
Yes, I'm all set.

WoodstockCT
Page 1 of 2