JEEP CJ7 VOLTMETER PROBLEM

1984 Jeep CJ7 • 67,800 miles

It runs fine during the day. When I turn the headlights on the volt meter pegs out to the left all the way and it puts a strain on the motor. Sometimes even kills it. But sometimes it runs fine and voltmeter stays normal. And then sometimes when I pull the switch no lights come on the voltmeter pegs to the left (low side) and the oil pressure gage pegs all the way to the right. Let I sit off for a bit and goes back working but still pegging the voltmeter.
Cbhph2003

HERE. AS LONG AS IT TAKES

JUST RESPOND

IT WAS FINE. WHEN?

THIS JUST STARTED?

ANY WILD-DONKEY MODIFICATIONS BEEN ADDED ON?

DOES THIS BRIGHT. AND DIM SETTINGS?

SEND PICS OF JEEP AND A SHOT UNDER THE HOOD WITH THE AIR CLEANER REMOVED--MAYBE STANDING ON BUMPER LOOKING DOWN VIEW. IF YOU WILL

IN DETAIL, WHAT HAS BEEN DONE TO THE JEEP---WHAT YOU USE IT FOR---WHAT'S BEEN DONE RECENTLY

DO YOU HAVE AN INEXPENSIVE DIGITAL VOLTMETER. KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT USING ONE. WHAT ABOUT A 12 VOLT TEST LIGHT?

I HOPE YOU'RE ONE TO BE ABLE TO DIY---I CAN PROBABLY TALK YOU THRU MOST CJ FIXES

YOUR TURN