CHEVROLET TRUCK FUEL GAUGE PROBLEM

1984 Chevrolet Truck • 180,000 miles

My fuel gauge is reading way past full what does this mean it does not run down so im lost

Xxroaxxslider

Probably your sending unit is bad in truck. Or the wire leading to it is grounding out against frame. Test to see if lwire lleading to tank has power with a test light it should be a blinking light or low voltage if it is then it's the sending unit. If you can disconnect the wire and the gague goes down especially

This truck also has a duel tank system on it which would lead me to believe that is has two sending units on it what are the chances that they both go out at the same time

Xxroaxxslider
The wire going to the sending unit is grounded or the ground is missing from the fuel gauge. Unplug the wire at the gas tank first. If the gauge goes to "empty", there's a problem with the sending unit.

Does that mean I have to drop the tank for that or can I trace the main wire to the cluster on the dash

Xxroaxxslider
Is the reading the same when you switch between tanks.

Mhpautos