VERY HIGH IDLE ON 83 OLDS , MIGHT I NEED A NEW CARB OR WHAT ELSE COULD BE THE PROBLEM.

1983 Oldsmobile Delta 88

I have a 1983 Oldsmobile Delta 88 that when I start it idles at very high rpm as if it is going to blow the motor, accelerator only feels like there is a little play in it, checked cable, checked throttle cable, checked carb choke and all seem fine. Car ran with no problem 3weeks ago then sat and had to pour a little gas in carb to start, but after that would fire right up without problem everytime. But it will not calm down. When I put in gear to try and get it to settle it spun the tires. Might I need a new carb?
Jjarko1

The idle is adjustable on this vehicle. Locate the throttle and there is a screw that can be turned in and out. Turn it in the direction needed to slow the engine down. If this happened all at once, check for vacuum leaks too.

I suspected a vacuum issue but do not know which vacuum line to look for. Will be at my other house where it is located again next week and will take another look at it. I want this vehicle whipped back into shape because I want to put it up for trade for a G-body vehicle.

Jjarko1
Let me know what you find.