WHY IS MY CARBURETOR NOT GETTING ANY FUEL?

1973 Chevrolet Monte Carlo • 140,000 miles

I have 73 monte carlo with a 350 engine and 4 barrel carb. The engine suddenly stopped running while driving on the freeway. The engine just stopped running(it didn't overheat or nothing).

I'm getting spark.

The manual choke 4 barrel is not getting any fuel though. I've done the following related to fuel:
1. Pulled the choke- no fuel
2. Pulled the fuel line connected to carb, bumped the engine, still no fuel. Replaced the fuel filter.
3. Bought a new fuel pump and installed it. Tried to start, but it still didn't start.
4. Sprayed carb cleaner- still won't start.
5. Removed the fuel line connected to the fuel pump, bumped the engine, and fuel came out of the fuel pump.
6. I disconnected the fuel line(carb to fuel pump), blew it out, reconnected it, and it still won't start.

The battery is brand new. I beginning to think the fuel tank("sock") is plugged.

The car has about a 1/4 tank of gas in it as well.
MarcellJ

It sounds like the sock on the fuel pick up could be clogged. Have you tried blowing into the fuel line going into the fuel pick up?

Where is the "fuel line going to the fuel pick up". Please explain.

MarcellJ
That would be the that feeds the fuel pump.

4. Sprayed carb cleaner- still won't start

Are you getting spark if so the engine should combust for a few secs till it rans out-

So fuel comes out of the nipple on the fuel pump that goes up to the carb?But if the hose is connected to the fuel pump that goes to the carb the end of the hose that goes onto the carb doesnt get any fuel while cranking?

If your spraying it and its got good spark and doesnt start. You will need to check the engine timing.

Cadieman
I didn't mean to flag the second response(I'm sorry).

So the fuel line going to the fuel pick up would be the rubber hose line connected to the fuel pump? If that's the one you're referencing, I haven't disconnected and checked that one.
But the metal line connected to the fuel pump and goes the carburetor has been removed, blown out, and reconnected.

Yes it's getting spark, when I sprayed the carb cleaner the engine did combust a few seconds, then it just continued to turn(because I held the ignition in the start position).

MarcellJ
My sister had a 1972 chevelle with a 350 engine it died suddenly and wouldnt restart. Found out the timming chain sprocket had worn a way enough to jump cam timming so it would not start at all. So lets get this fuel issue figured out if its getting gas or not?Also a bad sign that it did start on carb spray and you said it had spark?

I flagged a question again I'm sorry.

When I disconnected the the fuel line on the carb, and bumped the engine, there was no fuel. I reconnected it.

Then I disconnected the fuel line on the fuel pump, and bumped the engine, still there was no sign of fuel.

MarcellJ
No it didn't start on carb spray either. It made a sound like it wanted to but didn't.

MarcellJ