BRAKE LIGHTS AND TURN SIGNALS DONT WORK

1963 Chevrolet Impala • V8 2WD Automatic • 90,000 miles

My brake lights, turn signals dont work(rear's). When I brake only my passenger side lights work, and only my left hand turn lights work. If I turn my right blinker on, both side turn signals in the rear start flashing together. All of my wiring harnesses have been replaced and are brand new, new fuses, new bulbs, new flasher, its baffling, I dont understand. Please help. All advice is greatly appreciated, thank you for reading.
Franciscojrandrade

I'm sorry I don't have an answer @Franciscojrandrade I was googling for the same answer. I'm in the same position, and did the same as you with the harness and everything. It did it before the new and it still does it. My tail lights flash back and forth like cop lights. It's strange. I hope someone can answer. I've been told it's either a bad ground with these old cars, or my collum where the turn signal lever is that went bad. I'm not sure either way. Someone please help. Thanks in advance.

Chadc504
Say my man, I figured it out! It's your turn signal switch. I didn't replace mine though. I had to pull my steering wheel off and get into where it's located. When you get to the point to where you can slide the white plastic piece out there will be one screw located on the back of the piece that will give you access to the metal contact pieces on the inside. It's simple not complicated. The little metal clips should be in there without contact to any other part. They look similar to the child proof clip on a bic lighter. I simply took a needle nose pliers and gently reset them in correct spot. It's kind of a tedious thing, but with some patience you'll persevere. If you want to replace the whole signal switch here are two websites. Www.LateGreatChevy.com this site is trustable and has full restoration products; or go to this link which will bring you exactly to the page with part. Http://wyngmrestorationparts.com/1963-chevy-impala-turn-signal-switch-no-.html <-- this part is for the 63 without the tilt colum. Again the part is called TURN SIGNAL SWITCH.

Here are the steps to remove.

1) remove two 1/4" screws behind steering wheel. Take out the chrome horn trim, and set aside.
2) remove the three clutch head screw holding the horn bracket in. (clutch head screws have a slot that looks like a bow tie in a way, you either will need a clutch head screw driver I believe 1/4" also, but in my case they shouldn't be that tight so I was able to loosen then with a small flat head screw driver) now remove the horn contacts. *Note- any auto store will have that type of screw driver if needed.
3) you will now need a Steering Wheel Puller. They are like $15 bucks at auto store. This is needed because you will not be able to remove the steering wheel with out damaging something. Simple tool easy to use. Just follow the instructions on package. Abc123
4) remove the shift handle with a 1/4" nutdriver. Now you should be able to slowly work the plastic signal switch housing forward, and once you have it off of the steering hub remove the Phillips head screw located on back.
5) now gently remove the piece that the screw was securing. "Carefully" because you don't want the little metal clips to spring out and then lose them.
6) now that that piece is off make sure none of them clips are making constant contact. If one is then it will cause what is happening. Adjust carefully with needle nose pliers till everything is sitting center. Once you see how it looks you'll understand more. Easier seen then explained, but you'll get it.
7) test till correct response is achieved and repeat these steps in reverse as removed.

If you have any further questions, or need some more help you can contact by email directly at cgrove504@yahoo.com I can give you my cell number through that if you would like to talk directly to me. I'd rather not put my cell on the net, but I have no problem being of help. You never know we both have the same car, and might run into some problems at different times. Names Chad. I hope you're able to get this straight. It stumped the hell out of me. Best of luck.

Chadc504
Thanks friend, I got to it yesterday and noticed those clips, unfortunatley for me one of them is missing, thanks for the help.

Franciscojrandrade
Hey chad, I just got my new turn signal, but im having fun trying to get the old one out. Im stuck on the exterior peice, the housing were the column shifter is but I cant get past it. Ive tried to get the shifter out the way but cant

Franciscojrandrade
Where your shifter meets your colum there's a little rubber cover. Pull that up and you should see a little pin that that you have to push out. That will let you remover the shift lever and slide the metal surrounding off. Now if you look right below the whole colum by the dash board there's a short piece of metal trim about 5 inches long. Look behind that and remove the two nuts. After that I think there's 2 or 3 screws under the colum and 2 connecting the rest of the colum trim metal to the dash. Just slide that out and you should be able to install your signal switch. Just reverse what you did removing it and you'll have it all back together. Remember to always take note of where everything is. Just to make sure that it's correct again. These cars are built simple so it shouldn't be much of a problem. Try that and get back to me.

Chadc504
I pulled up the little boot cover on the shifter bot the rod I think is missing cause theres a little hole there, first I thought it was for a allen wrench but the wrench went all the way out the other side? Ps thanks for your reply, I appreciate it much.

Franciscojrandrade
No problem man, but to be honest if the pin was missing the shift lever would fall out. It's a hollow pin so a small Allen wrench would pass through it. Try taking a Allen wrench the same diameter of the whole you see and lightly tap it with a hammer. There's no way that the pin is missing. The lever truly wouldn't stay on. Get a better look. I have a feeling you're over looking.

Chadc504
Ok thanks a bunch, bout to go try.

Franciscojrandrade
Hey budd, just got it all dialed in. U were right. All my tail lamps are working correctly now, thank god. I compared the new and old switches but couldnt really notice anything wrong with the old one. Any how thanks a bunch man. Heres some chevy sites that have helped me out alot, may they do the same for you, peace.
-chevytalk. Org- -layitlow. Com-

Franciscojrandrade