Will not start

Tiny
ALG3674
  • 1999 CHEVROLET EXPRESS
  • V8
  • 2WD
  • AUTOMATIC
  • 150,200 MILES
My engine will not turn over. It sounds like it wants to start but cannot. I have changed the battery, ignition rotor, distributor cap, spark plug, spark plug cables and the ignition coil. The spark plug is gaped at.060. I took it to AutoZone to do a diagnostic test but came up with no errors. It will start if you spray starter fluid but not on its own. Also, when it is started, when you press on the gas it will sound like the engine is stuttering. Can anyone help?
Saturday, October 23rd, 2010 AT 8:51 PM

9 Replies

Tiny
RASMATAZ
  • MECHANIC
  • 75,992 POSTS
Check the fuel pressure if it is within specs if okay test the fuel pump relay.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Saturday, October 23rd, 2010 AT 9:27 PM
Tiny
ALG3674
  • 4 POSTS
Yeah I did check it. It is at 57 psi and the fuel filter is clear. The van will run if I spray starter fluid and I can drive it but once I turn it off and let it sit for a while it will not start. A few people told me it is a sensor but I do not want to change every sensor there is.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Sunday, October 24th, 2010 AT 12:26 AM
Tiny
RASMATAZ
  • MECHANIC
  • 75,992 POSTS
Do you hear the fuel pump come on when key at run position? If not test the fuel pump fuse and relay. If both okay test the fuel pump and oil pressure sending unit. Also check the coolant temperature sensor.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
+1
Sunday, October 24th, 2010 AT 12:37 AM
Tiny
ALG3674
  • 4 POSTS
Yeah the fuel pump works and I do hear it when I turn the key. Okay, will check that. Do know about the MAP sensor, IAT sensor and the MAF sensor?
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Sunday, October 24th, 2010 AT 12:51 AM
Tiny
RASMATAZ
  • MECHANIC
  • 75,992 POSTS
Next time it refuses to start do not wait for it to make up its mind-do below immediately to determine if its fuel or spark problem

Get a helper disconnect a spark plug wire or two and ground it to the engine at least 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so you have a fuel related problem. Do you hear the fuel pump come on when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if so, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
+1
Sunday, October 24th, 2010 AT 1:04 AM
Tiny
ALG3674
  • 4 POSTS
Okay, people so you could know the update. I changed the coolant temperature sensor and cleaned out every electric connector and it still did not work. So, I drove it to AutoZone because my check engine light came on and they hook up the diagnostic meter and it said low oxygen. So, the problem is the (MAF) Mass Air Flow that was bad. So, changed it and the van starts on its own. Thanks for your help.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
+2
Monday, October 25th, 2010 AT 8:51 PM
Tiny
RASMATAZ
  • MECHANIC
  • 75,992 POSTS
You are welcome and thank you too for coming back with the fix this will benefit everyone.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
+1
Monday, October 25th, 2010 AT 9:51 PM
Tiny
BEANER773
  • 1 POST
You guys are the bomb and thanks for helping out.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
+1
Thursday, May 3rd, 2018 AT 4:53 PM
Tiny
KEN L
  • MASTER CERTIFIED MECHANIC
  • 42,924 POSTS
Good to hear, please use 2CarPros anytime we are here to help.

Cheers, Ken
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Sunday, May 6th, 2018 AT 4:38 PM

Please login or register to post a reply.

Sponsored links