2001 Honda Civic PLZ PLZ HELP! Rattle noise from front pass

Tiny
CALLUMDOYLE
  • 2001 HONDA CIVIC
  • 4 CYL
  • FWD
  • MANUAL
  • 67,000 MILES
I have got a 2001 honda civic sport 1.6 and have had an annoying rattle noise from passenger side, front left wheel for ages now. It sounds like its getting worse and more often. It gets louder over bumpier road surfaces. It sounds to me like something is loose making this rattle noise. I think that I can feel vibrations from the rattle through the pedals when driving too. I have had cv joint replaced, ball joint replaced, strut replaced, suspension bush and arm replaced, sway bar drop links replaced and yet still have the noise. If any1 could please siggest what it could be as im getting to the end of my tether with the car! Any suggestions would be appreciated! I think it feels more like a problem with the suspension area of the front left wheel, rather than the wheel itself due to feeling vibrations through the pedals when it rattles. Thanks
Wednesday, December 30th, 2009 AT 4:49 AM

9 Replies

Tiny
KHLOW2008
  • MECHANIC
  • 41,815 POSTS
Hi callumdoyle,

Were the upper arm and sway bar bushes checked/replaced?
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Sunday, January 3rd, 2010 AT 8:10 AM
Tiny
CALLUMDOYLE
  • 6 POSTS
Hi there,

thanks for your response I have had the upper arm replaced already and im getting the sway bar bushes replaced at the weekend. The mechanic can't see what else could be making the noise but says the sway bar bushes can be very noisy, although I don't see how they could be the cause of such a loud constant rattle noise! Any other ideas would be much appreciated if replacing the sway bushes doesnt work!
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tuesday, January 5th, 2010 AT 3:14 AM
Tiny
KHLOW2008
  • MECHANIC
  • 41,815 POSTS
Consistent rattling noises are usually caused by the sway bar bushes and link, which you have already replaced.

You have replaced almost the complete suspension system and not getting near the problem but I believe the sway bar bushes should solve the problem based on the symptom description.

If it fails to solve the problem, the next thing you should be looking at would be the steering rack ends and steering rack. Check the steering rack bushings and also rack free play adjustment.

Normally steering rack or its links would have the noise felt as vibrations through the steering wheel.

The steering bushes ( mounts ) might transmit its vibration through the floorboard.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tuesday, January 5th, 2010 AT 6:33 AM
Tiny
CALLUMDOYLE
  • 6 POSTS
Thanks for all your input it is much appreciated, im taking it back to the garage this weekend so when he replaces the sway bar bushes, if that doesn't solve the problem, i'll get him to take a look at what you suggested. I'll post on here again next week and with a bit of luck the problem may have finally been fixed!
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tuesday, January 5th, 2010 AT 6:43 AM
Tiny
KHLOW2008
  • MECHANIC
  • 41,815 POSTS
You are welcomed.

Hope to hear good news the next time you post here.

Have a nice day.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tuesday, January 5th, 2010 AT 7:09 AM
Tiny
CALLUMDOYLE
  • 6 POSTS
I've now got the car back, with anti roll bar bushes fitted, but noise is no better than before. Still same rattle, and even worse thers a sqeaking noise sometimes too from the same area(not sure if due to cold weather?). The garage has checked everything and say it's not the steering rack and can't really find much else wrong with the car. But the noise is driving me crazy its so loud and always there and sounds like the wheel is going to fall off! They say that it now must be the strut mounting, but can't guarantee this is the problem. I dont particularly want to spend any more money without knowing exactly what the problem is! Also need a new cambelt which is expensive, so have decided to take to dealer and part x change for a golf instead! So fed up with this car now!
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Monday, January 11th, 2010 AT 7:13 AM
Tiny
KHLOW2008
  • MECHANIC
  • 41,815 POSTS
If the noise is as described, I don't see any reason why the mechanic cannot get to the source of it.

Rattling noises that are consistent should be easy to detect given the number of available parts that can cause it.

I believe a second opnion is in order. Without the physical vehicle it would be impossible to pin point the source of the noise but since you have replaced the complete suspension system bushes and related parts, I would suggest going over what had been done to eliminate new but defective parts that had been installed. Recheck the installation to ensure they are correctly done.

Check for loose body or engine compartment parts that might cause the rattling when vibration occurs while driving.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Monday, January 11th, 2010 AT 7:50 AM
Tiny
CALLUMDOYLE
  • 6 POSTS
Sold the car today  2,200 cash to a garage!
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Monday, January 18th, 2010 AT 4:46 AM
Tiny
KHLOW2008
  • MECHANIC
  • 41,815 POSTS
One way of solving a problem. :)

Have a nice day.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Monday, January 18th, 2010 AT 7:36 AM

Please login or register to post a reply.

Sponsored links