1998 Mitsubishi Galant car will not run yet

Tiny
ELCHICANO
  • 1998 MITSUBISHI GALANT
  • 4 CYL
  • FWD
  • AUTOMATIC
  • 125,000 MILES
My question is full of details, but will start with what happened with this at the first.
The battery was put in wrong polarity-it blew out the choke relay fuses 100/50 amp. Replaced it would idle, run for about five mins. And then shake badly and die out.
I chg. Battery post/car has new plugs /wires/new battery/ air filter/oil chg./Fuel filter. Had to tow home. It sat for awhile. Got it to an auto zone, with check engine light. It listed flow control sensor ecm /fuel pump/ timming /fuel inj/or regulator, which is part of the need repair if the fuel pump is bad, a unit repair if I was info. Correctly. The fuel pump was found to be bad, yet the flow sensor when connected kills the car and will not let you drive. However, with this disconnected the car flys. The mech put on a 4/k ananyzer. It showed a bad map sensor /replaced. It then showed multipleerrors. So I changed out the computer, cause he thought it acted as if it had a short.I have also tried 7flow sensor units and the car will still not run if you connect this, but will run w/o it great. I replaced cap/rotor. The idle is steady w/o the unit ecm, yet holds for only 7-10 mins with the unit on and it dies /won't let you put in gear to drive out due to it dies out. If the idle control were bad would I be able to keep car on at all? Other parts replaced sit ontop of the throttle housing as well, it still won't run? Whats wrong? Money is short as I am a cancer blessed alive.
Wednesday, October 6th, 2010 AT 4:47 PM

4 Replies

Tiny
ELCHICANO
  • 5 POSTS
I have no reply to my question as yet and will check back tomorrow. I have to add that the message did not state that the fuel pump was also repaired and the car will still not run when the mass air flow unit is connected.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Wednesday, October 6th, 2010 AT 6:56 PM
Tiny
RASMATAZ
  • MECHANIC
  • 75,992 POSTS
Hi elchicano, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation

Inspect and test the VAF sensor

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_VAF_1.jpg

DTC P0100: VOLUME AIRFLOW (VAF) CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION
Install Test Harness (MB991348 ) between VAF sensor harness connector and sensor. Start engine and allow it to idle. Check voltage between ground and VAF sensor connector terminal No. 3. If voltage is 2.2-3.2 volts, go to next step. If voltage is not as specified, go to step 3).
Check voltage between ground and VAF sensor connector terminal No. 7. Voltage should be 0-1 volt at idle and 6-9 volts at 2000 RPM. If voltage is as specified, replace PCM. If voltage is not as specified, go to step 6).
Disconnect VAF sensor connector. Turn ignition on. Check voltage between ground and VAF sensor connector terminal No. 4. If battery voltage exists, go to next step. If battery voltage does not exist, check wiring harness between VAF sensor, fuel pump relay connector and MFI relay connector.
Check voltage between ground and VAF sensor connector terminal No. 3. Voltage should be 4.8-5.2 volts. Check continuity between ground and VAF sensor connector terminal No. 5. If voltage is as specified and continuity exists, check VAF sensor connector. If connector is okay, replace VAF sensor. If voltage is not as specified or continuity does not exist, go to next step.
Check VAF sensor connector and wiring harness between PCM and VAF sensor connector. If connector and wiring are okay, replace PCM.
Turn ignition on. With PCM connector connected, check voltage between ground and PCM terminal No. 19. If voltage is 6-9 volts, check PCM connector. If PCM connector is okay, replace PCM. If voltage is not as specified, check VAF sensor connector. If VAF sensor connector is okay, replace, VAF sensor
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Thursday, October 7th, 2010 AT 6:11 AM
Tiny
ELCHICANO
  • 5 POSTS
Thank you very kindly for your reply. I have just viewed your reply and will need to ask the mechanic to help with your advise. Let me ask you? Why didn't the analyzer show this as a fault and why all the pop ups of error signals. One of the error signals that came up before I after I tried a different mass air flow sensor unit, showed a bad map sensor. I twas replaced and it cleared, but then went to pop up sets of other bad faults. That is why I changed out the computer. Is the possibility the original unit is good?
Lastly what does the VAF AND THE OTHER ITEMS YOU BROUGHT TO MY ATTENTION SPELL OUT?
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Thursday, October 7th, 2010 AT 2:54 PM
Tiny
RASMATAZ
  • MECHANIC
  • 75,992 POSTS
Clean out the idle air control valve and also the mass airflow sensor with an electronic cleaner called CRC and see what happens

VAF: vane Airflow Sensor-same thing same job as the mass airflow sensor
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Thursday, October 7th, 2010 AT 4:33 PM

Please login or register to post a reply.

Sponsored links