REPAIR CODES P0121 AND P1609

2001 Volvo XC70

2001 Volvo XC70 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 90100 miles

(Car is a 5 cyl, but that wasn't offered as an option.)

My 01 XC70 volvo looses power when using heavy acceleration. The message on the display panel reads " performance reduction". We were out of town when this happened and found a local mechanic who could pull the repair codes, but didn't have the computer equipment or the parts to repair it.

The car drives fine so long as we don't gas it while getting on the highway, or engaging the turbo.

The codes are: P0121 and P1609. He did an website search for these codes and deducted that it probably needs a throttle actuator, and guesses we'll pay $1,000 to $1,500 for the repair. Would you agree with this diagnosis?

The turbo was replaced in the past 2 months. I usually trust my mechanic, but lately we're taking it in every 2 months for $500-1500 repairs, and sometimes things need to be redone or related repairs come up. Before I ask my mechanic if this repair is related, I wanted outside advice. Could this be connected with the recent turbo repair?

Thank you
Wcarnegie

If you do have a problem with your throttle it is covered by a 10 year 200k mile warranty so you should take to your VOLVO dealer for proper diagnosis and repair. If they try and sell you an upgrade I believe the ECM software upgrade is also covered under warranty for 10 years 150k miles but VOLVO would need to verify that. Good Luck. And for your other question if you " HAD TO BUY" the ETM then you are looking at minimum $1000 buck that is why it is important you take to the dealer so that they will warranty it if it is the case.

JIS001
Thank you. I wouldn't have known. I just called Volvo and it is covered.

Wcarnegie