REPLACEMENT OF FUEL PUMP

1999 Volvo XC70

1999 Volvo XC70 All Wheel Drive Automatic 105000 miles

1999 Volvo XC70 AWB wagon with 105,000 miles. Had the car since new and kept well maintained. Car was hard to start for a few days, then problem progressed to include very rough idle, check engine light came on, problem escalated to loss of power when attempting to accelerate, running roughly as if engine was flooded, miss-firing and stalling in traffic. Manage to limp the car into repair shop. Apparently problem is faulty fuel pump. Because of position of fuel pump repair will cost $1700. This sounds very high. I would like to know if symptoms described above match that expected for a faulty fuel pump and if the job is particularly difficult resulting in high repair cost. I am a handy guy but limited tools – is this something that I can do myself?
Sndouglas

I have 99 V70XC AWD with 93K and just went through almost same problem 3 weeks ago. I had my neighbor who is a SAAB mechanic help me. In my case, I let the car sit for 3 days to evaporate gas that had flooded. When car started, lots of black smoke came out with carbon particles. My neighbor indicated that the problem was a bad gas. He suggested to add gas treatment to the tank and try to clean out. I have about 9 G gas in the tank and added entire bottle of gas treatment bottle (the one that treats upto 32 G and then also filled up tank with Shell Supreme. I let my car run for 45 minutes idle and my problem has gone away for now. How? Earlier my mileage had dropped from 19 MPG in city to 5-6 MPG. I am still working off my current tank but it is consistently going upto 14 now. Good luck.

Flyaplane
Hi sndouglas,

Flyaplane is correct, you could be having the same problem.

If the fuel pump is faulty, the chances of keeping engine running is almost nil.

What was the Diagnostic Trouble Code for the Check Engine Light showing?