IT ALL STARTED WITH THE WATER PUMP

2002 Volvo S80

2002 Volvo S80 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

i walked into this blind but someone replaced the water pump and left the timing belt off and had removed the exhaust cam gear. I'm pretty sure I can line up all except the exhaust cam. I have no idea what position it was in when the gear was removed. All I can identify it's position by is a circle carved off center in the end of it. I tried bringing the engine to tdc and lining up the marks but without knowing how to clock the gear i'm at a loss. Someone please shoot me some useful info!
Jayselvidge

This is an interference engine any movement without belt in place WILL result in valve damage. align cam gears to crank as in diagram

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/198357_Graphic_273.jpg

Docfixit
If the exhaust side had the variable timing hub on it then you will need the cam lock tool to lock the cams in place and set the variable timing unit in place. If you are not familiar with this I strongly urge you to tow it in to a shop that can do this repair. Like DocFixIt mentioned before, this is an interference engine and you will damage the valves if the timing is not set right.

JIS001