BRAKE LIGHTS

2001 Volvo S80

2001 Volvo S80 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 115000 miles

BRAKE LIGHTS WORK @ THE REAR WINDOW, DO NOT WORK @ REAR LIGHTS. I HAVE CHECKED THE FUSES AND REPLACED BOTH BULBS. ALL OTHER LIGHTS WORK @ REAR.
Wagsjim

The problem you are having is a bad turn signal switch.

You will have to get a new one.

I would suggest getting one from a junk yard as a new one is outrageous.

Blackop555
Hi

I currently having exactly the same problem as you are I changed the Brake Light switch but that did not fix it! Could you please tell me if you have managed to sort your problem out and HOW?

Many thaknz

Ahmadyassine
The problem is a bad relay in the Rear Electronic Module. When the relay goes bad the brake lights do not work on the tail light side but only the third brake light will since it is on another circuit. Check your manuel if it is not there let me know and I will see if I can get you the relay location. The Rear Electronic Module will be located in the trunk behinde the left side cover. Once you pull back the trunk cover you will see the module with fuses and relays.

JIS001
Hi, and thank you for your reply I am looking at the owners manual at the moment it shows exactly where the fuse box in the cargo compartment is where I already have looked at the related fuse which is perfectly fine! Unless you are tallking about the the main fuse box (big black fuses) which is located in the same area directly next the fuse box and which the instruction manual strictly advises not to be changed except by and authoraised person and therefore the owners' manual does not say which black fuse does what. I would be very grateful if you could let me know where that bad relay is and I shall declare my self an authoried owner for one day and change it myself! I have already had a couple of so called authorised pepole look at the problem and all I got from both of them is no electricity is reaching those lights (as if I already did not know that) one of them even made me buy a brand new brake light switch. Thank you again for your help and I look forward to your next reply. : -)

Ahmadyassine
Sorry to hear you had to buy a brake switch. Email me joker_bhd@yahoo. Com and I will give you my contact number and I will guid you through and show you where the bad relay is. The relay is on a module in the trunk area.

JIS001
Hello again

You are very helpful indeed, I have managed to find a chart on one of the UK's volvo forums detailing exactly where the relay switch is, still I would have not known if it wasn't for your help.

Thank you kindly

Ahmadyassine