UNSTRUMENT PANEL AND WARNING LIGHTS

2000 Volvo S80

2000 Volvo S80 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 110, 00 miles

HELLO. My instrument panel lights were not on, I had the fuses checked out, all was good there, we checked the battery it wasn't. So we replaced the battery, and the car was working great, only thing is one of the warnings that came on, was the airbag service needed, urgent. I called the man that put the new battery in, and he said he would get back with me, meanwhile today I get in the car I am getting warnings brake failure (which I got before) the breaks are fine, then I turned it off and back on several times, getting different messages or the same like alarm service needed. The signals don't work, either. The instrument panel lights came on again for a while then went back off. I don't know what to do, I am distraught, as my extended warranty is out (I could not afford it), and I just had the car serviced not long ago, and it is running great, otherwise, thank you so much if you can at least lead me in some direction
Finley

[quote=" finley" ]Electrical problem

HELLO. My instrument panel lights were not on, I had the fuses checked out, all was good there, we checked the battery it wasn't. So we replaced the battery, and the car was working great, only thing is one of the warnings that came on, was the airbag service needed, urgent. I called the man that put the new battery in, and he said he would get back with me, meanwhile today I get in the car I am getting warnings brake failure (which I got before) the breaks are fine, then I turned it off and back on several times, getting different messages or the same like alarm service needed. The signals don't work, either. The instrument panel lights came on again for a while then went back off. I don't know what to do, I am distraught, as my extended warranty is out (I could not afford it), and I just had the car serviced, also the doors unlock themselves, and won't lock at times

Finley
Did you have the charging system checked when they replaced the battery? Low or erratic system voltage can cause the controllers to do some pretty odd things. Ifit is ok, you may have an issue witht ehignition switch not supplying voltage to particular controllers at different times, thus the different lights being on at different times

Jack42
Sounds like you have a network problem. You would need to have the whole network scanned for codes and this could only be done either at Volvo or a shop that actually specializes with Volvo and has the proper equipment. If you have an SRS light and the ABS light on you could have a problem with the high and low speed network. Problem could be a bad Central Electronic Module or any other module to a faulty wiring harness but like I mentioned, you need to have the whole network scanned and look at freeze frame data to see what battery voltage was to those particular modules that went offline? Also Jack is correct, a faulty charging system will cause all kinds of problems in the network if the modules are not getting the proper voltage. The voltage regulators have being known to fail and caused problems but I really encourage you to take it in to a shop for proper diagnosing for the root cause of your complaint.

JIS001