TRANSMISSION STUCK IN NEUTRAL

2000 Volvo S80

2000 Volvo S80 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 63000 miles

I am repairing a 2000 S80 T6 Volvo. I have the vehicle started and running. However, I just discovered I also need a new alternator. My biggest problem is with the transmission. The car has been broken for three to four years. Now that I have the car started the transmission is stuck in neutral. The car sitting on blocks, so it is not level. I did not know if this could cause the vehicle not to shift into any other gear. Another problem I am encountering is that none of the windows will operate. I have checked fuses and they are all good. The two front windows are stuck down. Is there a manual way to roll up the front windows?
Boclem

Hi boclem,

Thank you for the donation.

When you mentioned stuck in Neutral, do you mean the shift lever is stuck or is it the shift lever can be operated but vehicle would not move? Did you check the fluid level?

If window motors are in working condition, remove door panel and use a battery to wind up the windows. Otherwise you need to disconnect the door glass from the regulator and push the glass up manually.

The shift lever is stuck in neutral. It will not budge when I try to move it. The fluid level is good.

When I connect the battery to the window will I simply connect it to the positive and negative contacts of the motor?

Boclem
You dont need to replace the entire alternator. For the most part just replacing the voltage regulator on the alternator should do the job. Now as for your transmission being stuck? Was it always in nuetral or you just happened to put in nuetral and it got stuck? Towards the back of the transmission the shift linkage is back there. Get a swivel, socket, and a long extension with ratchet. Turn the bolt and see if the gear selector will move. If it is stuck then do not try and force it. The shift linkage may have seized from sitting so long. As far as windows are concerned are they not rolling up because of the very low battery voltage?

JIS001
Yes, connecting battery voltage to the motor wires would make the motor work. Reversing the polarity would make motor work in opposite direction.

As for the gear lever stuck in Neutral, it most probably is a seized linkage as mentioned by JIS001.

Disconnect the linkage at trans and try shifting the lever at trans, if it works, the shift linkage has to be serviced or parts replaced.