-FOUTH GEAR DISENGAGE ARROW-PERMANENTLY ON.

Volvo 940

Hi there. I own a 1991 940 GLE Wagon with 287,000 kms. It is the 2.4 litre DOHC engine. The dashboard light arrow indicating the " 4th gear is disengaged" is permanently on, and will not go off, despite pressing the small button on the left of the gearshifter. The car will not get out of third gear, despite the speed. Is there anything that can be done? I have a friend with the identical car and identical problem. Thanks.
Volvoguy

See the post about the wagon that stalls. Kmarr@bellnet. Ca It is the printed circuit board on the dash. If you can't find the post let me know. Check the OD relay, 99% sure PCB> fixed my 940 wagon

Now do you have the wiring diagram for the car.

Kevintaylar
Thanks Kevin. You're right. As it turned out, the OD Relay was exactly the problem. Easily fixed. What surprises me is that several experienced Volvo specialist mechanics were not able to figure this out.

Volvoguy
I f you live in Canada I can give the addresses to two Volovo guys, one has a wrecking yard outside of Guelph and the other is on the same road but 60k away. Kmarr@bellnet. Ca

Kevintaylar
That's okay thanks.I've actually been to one of those places-in Ancaster I think, when I was in Toronto.I'm on the East Coast now. And there's a pretty good Volvo parts guy in Fredericton, NB-by the name of Harry Gunther.

Volvoguy