CAR SHAKING AND ENGINE CUTS OFF AFTER ACCELE

1989 Volvo 245

Shakes or Wobbles problem
1989 Volvo 245 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 285000 miles

Today when I turned on my car it took a little longer to start up than usual. When it did start the car began to shake and a few seconds later it stopped. I then drove 1/4 mile and when I accelerated the car began to shake and then the engine cut off. I then attempted to turn the car back on and it took about 5 tries until it started again and I pushed on the gas pedal and when I did that it I heard a weird noise from what I believe was the exhaust. The engine cut off again. Then I got the car to turn back on and I proceeded to go back home. I noticed as long as I didn't accelerate the engine wouldn't cut off, but if I even attempted any acceleration then it would turn off again. I made it back home and now curious to what it was. Thank you!
Kelly_newland

Hi kelly_newland,

Thank you for the donation.

From the symptom description, seems the engine is misfiring during acceleration and possible causes are : • Ensure ignition timing is correct.
• Ensure timing belt has not jumped.
• Check distributor.
• Check for gasoline in oil.
• Ensure fuel injectors are not leaking.
• Ensure spark plugs fire.
• Check ignition and coil circuit.
• Check engine speed sensor.
• Check throttle switch and connector.
• Check exhaust system.
• Ensure spark plugs fire.
• Check distributor.
• Ensure fuel pressure is correct.
• Check ignition timing.