BATTERY WON'T HOLD A CHARGE

Volvo 240

I have a 1985 Volvo 240 GL and I have problems with the battery holding a charge and running. It will take a jump off and run for 30 minutes or more, but when I turn it off, it won't restart. I've had the mechanics put in a new engine wiring harness, battery, and alternator. An auto electric shop and volvo shop tried straight wiring from the coil to the battery and that didn't work. It just cost me more money for a car that still won't run properly. Can someone please help me get my baby back to running and charging?
Thanks in advance
Jockn1

Hi there,

Back to basics. First check the alternator output voltage at the Alternator about 14V is a good bench mark. Next have the battery charged off the car and then load tested to prove the viability of the battery. Next check all earths are clean and tight and check that the battery terminals are serviceable. Check battery voltage input while running at the battery, should be as for alternator out put. Check for amp draw with key off boor closed, draw should be less than.2 amps any higher and something is drawing current and draining the battery.

Mhpautos