LEFT TURN SIGNAL DOES NOT WORK

1988 Volvo 240

1988 Volvo 240 4 cyl Automatic 129000 miles

I just recently bought a 1988 Volvo 240 GL. When we first got it, the left turn signal was blinking fast and the bulb warning light was on. We checked all bulbs - they were all working, and we replaced two that we thought might have been burned out. After this, all of them are intact.

However, the left turn signal stops working, both from and back. When I turn on the hazards, only the right blinkers flash. When I actually engage the left turn signal, a loud buzzing noise emanates from the center panel.

I replaced the hazard flasher with a new one - same problems still emerge. Lights do not work, only the right blinkers flash, and that horrible buzzing noise happens when I engage the left turn signal. We did not check the fuses as we thought they were an unlikely culprit since the indicator lights still work, as do the internal lights and the right blinkers - only the left don't work.

Is it the turn signal switch, or is there a broken or loose wire? Any help would be appreciated.
Bittergrapes

Hi bittergrapes,

Thank you for the donation.

The fuse works for both sides so should not be a problem.

If the hazard lights does not work both sides, then you have a fault with the wires or bulbs for the left sides.

Recheck the left light bulbs first. Does the dash indicator for the left shows when turned on?

The indicator does work, but a buzzing noise emanates when I engage it. The light comes on, as well as the noise. We did check and replace several of the bulbs for the left turn signal - all were working, and we replaced two bulbs just to be sure. Not only did the brand-new ones not work, but the old ones - that weren't broken - didn't work either, leading us to the conclusion that it is, indeed, probably a broken wire.

Bittergrapes
Do you have a schematic of the wiring diagram?

I actually do not.

Bittergrapes
I have emailed you a schematic of the fusebox and turnsignal diagrams. Here I have blown up the diagram for the signals and hazard lights.

From the symptom description, I believe you have a short in the G (Green) from the DIR SW (Directional switch). That is where you should be concentrating on.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_TurnSignalSchematic88Volvo240_1.jpg

Thank you very much! That was very helpful.

Bittergrapes
You're welcome.

Keep me posted on how it goes.