NOT GETTING FUEL?

1977 Volkswagen Van

1977 Volkswagen Van 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 110000 miles

Hell, and thanks in advance for your help. VW Transporter van was running fine, was having charging issues, but I fixed them, Then a week later, I was driving and it started to sputter, as if it was sucking garbage from the bottom of the tank. It kept getting worse, until it finally wouldn't start at all. I changed the fuel filter and made sure there was nothing in the line, to no avail. Took the fuel pump off, hooked a jumper to it, and the mechanism still spins in the electric fuel pump, but if the pump was running weakly, would it not deliver enough fuel for the engine to run, or if it was weak and dying would it cause the sputtering? Should I be looking in another direction for the problem?
Brando48

Every German vehicle has a sticker on it do not run less than 91 octane fuel, the reason they do that is regular gasoline gos bad and super does not, regular gasoline has varnish that will destroy your electric fuel, until you check the pressure there is no way of knowing, if the fuel pump drops down just a few pounds the car will not run right sold the first thing I would do is check your fuel pressure. And if it is your fuel pump, I will teach you how to fix it.

Dr Loot