ADVICE?

1970 Volkswagen Van

1970 Volkswagen Van 4 cyl Manual

About 3 months ago I drove my 1970 VW bus the 16 hours to my new home, completely loaded down with all of my stuff. The engine is not stock, it is 1776cc and has lots of hot-rod type stuff. On the way up I blew an exhaust gasket and had it fixed at a German car place, and had my valves adjusted. The mechanic did not put the valve cover gaskets on correctly, which is easy to do since my valve covers are not the stock type that just clip on, anyway, it leaked oil everywhere and they fixed it for me when I brought it back to them. Since then I have noticed that I do not have as much power as I did before and it was kicking back every once in a while when I shut it off, so I brought it back today and they said the timing was a little retarded and adjusted it, it feels a little better but still kicks a little when I shut it off. Do you think this could have to do with the way the valves are adjusted? Would this happen if they were too tight?
Michellep

The answer to your question is YES! I bought my first Volkswagen van brand-new in 1969, currently I own 13 of them, the factory adjustment for the valves is adjust to know play, then 3/4 turn, (no good) I have experimented a lot with the valves on Volkswagen's, for maximum performance, take them down to no play and that's it, do not follow the factory specs 3/4 turn, so ask your mechanic how he adjusted the valves and then you will know, specially on a high-performance VW engine, every summer I go down to Mexico and prepare the Volkswagen race cars for their tournament, I adjust them all to no play in that it, if you need help adjusting your valves don't hesitate to contact me

Dr Loot