CAMSHAFT

2004 Volkswagen Touareg

2004 Volkswagen Touareg 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 70,000 miles

I took my chugging Toureg into the VW service dept earlier this week. They came stating diagnostic showed all 6 cylinders were misfiring and that my camshaft needed replacement, tensioners, and chain because the timing was off. Estimated price.$5.8k. I have had all maint and oil changes done timely and at Volkswagen. Bought this one cert pre-owened from them 2 years ago. Is there anything you can suggest to get VW to foot some of the charges? I am only 10k outside of warranty and VW has done all the work on my car. Would it be cheaper to replace the whole engine vs taking apart and doing this one repair? Thank you!
Bethmcallister

Hi there,

Thank you for the donation,

I would want a second opinion on the cause of this problem first, and if it is the cam at fault your only action is to plead your case with VW customer relations, I know that Toyota do help out with customers that are just out of warranty if they have been regular clients (with exceptions naturally) so you will have to contact them and see if they are prepared to assist you, that is about all you can hope for, as it is there right to say no, you can only ask.

Mhpautos