BENT VALVE

1999 Volkswagen Passat

1999 Volkswagen Passat 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

here is my question what does it take for a valve to bend.

my car's water pump broke I had someone fix it. When the finished them informed me that the car would not start. First he thought the timiing belts was put back wrong he put all the timing belts on. Now he is saying it a bent valve because the car over headed please help I feel like im being taken.

thanks
Sha627

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/55316_99passattb_1.jpg

Overheating won't cause valves to bend. Broken timing belt will. If the crankshaft or camshaft is turned while the timing belt is removed (in your case water pump replacement) that will bend a couple valve to the very least, as your engine is interference engine application.

Zackman
I know this is way late, but you 2 pros are right on the money. I went to do the water pump, and then timing belt because I was there at 140k ( last timing belt was at 80k). My cam spun due to spring pressure and now a few valves are bent. Buy the cam locking bracket. It is worth it. Still working on it, but I see one intake valve open on cylinder 6 and the other 2 closed. Just from not locking down the cams with the bracket.

Dstaj