HARD SHIFTING JETTA GT

1997 Volkswagen Other

A few months ago, my automatic Jetta started shifting hard in to second gear, but only when it was cold, and only right after I started it up. When it warmed up, no problems.
Recently, it started doing the same thing going from a stop, in drive, to first gear.
The engine revs to about 40 rpm before catching.
With previous cars I've owned, I would have flushed the transmission. Apparently you can't do this on my Jetta, it is a " sealed system". According to the dealership, a flush is very rarely done. Personally, I don't get it. Sealed system or not, the fluid must get dirty.
I am unsure of what to do. A friend suggested having the computer timing adjusted? If anyone has a clue about what's going on, please help me!
Smitty_kitty_678

You need to have the tranny fluid/filter changed, not flushed. Flushing the tranny fluid is different than simply changing it and can not be performed nor is it recommended on all vehicles.

Thanks for using 2CarPros. Com!

I have similar problem and I change the speed sensor of the transmission and the problem was gone, the engine light never was on.

Gabrieljorge