SMELLS.

2005 Volkswagen Jetta

Smells problem
2005 Volkswagen Jetta 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 38000 miles

I baught a car over an auction. From the pictures the car looked good for the asking price so I went ahead and bid on it. When I got the car it was covered in dirt (inside and outside). One thing that stood out was the smell. I cant describe it. It doesnt have any water damage, but smells like something died in it. I cleaned the seats and vacumed the floors I cant find where its coming from. Where do I go from here? I know the car has been sitting in a lot for over 4 months and I found clothes in the car as well. Whats the first thing I need to do to get it out.
Anelmemo

Isolate where the smell is coming from.
If something actually was dead in the car that is going to be difficult to remove. (See the mythbusters episode)

To minimize the smell, pull anything that can absorb liquid. Carpet, seats, headliner. Trunk carpets, and clean the metal underneath with enzyme (buy from a dealer that specializes in cleaning up after dead things.)

Wash everything with the enzyme.
Check the ventelation system and clean that also.

Again. This will only minimize the smell. If something actually was dead in the car. You may never get rid of it.

Abqdenmagoo