ENGINE TICK

2003 Volkswagen Jetta

Noises problem
2003 Volkswagen Jetta 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

Okay, So earlier this evening, I was being a little reckless. I was driving around 70 and came upon a slope. And needless to say my volkswagon went ariborne. Not much but it hit the ground hard(It was at night and the slope sorta came outta noWhere).

After I stopped the car for about 3 hours I went and I got back in and started it, I heard a tick. A pretty quick tick.

Now, I have just recently replaced the timing belt, and water pump. I had an oilchange about a month and a half ago. And my car definitley needs new shocks, Struts, Bushings and U joints. I just cant afford all that right now. As for what I just said, The VW has a tendency to be very noisy and " Clanky" on rough roads.

I am realy hoping that its nothing more than few tighning some bolts. I only hear the click when its in idle. Also I have not been able to check myself as to what may be wrong as it was dark and I have not had to oppurtunity to inspect things myself. WHich I am going to do asap!
Corndogg

If you only hear the noise at an idle (ticking) it has to be coming from the engine. Does it change with RPM's?

As far as the suspension, based on what happened, I strongly recommend having the suspension checked. Chances are there is more than a few bolts that need tightened. You most likely have broken something that is causing the noise. Make sure the strut towers are not damaged as well as strut plates.

Let me know what you find.

Well, I go to an Aoutmotive service school, So I have been taking my car in and looking at it.

The idle has been going away and then coming back. When I do get the tick, It only ticks at idle. And it is changing at rpm's. But its like I said, Every couple of days it goes away and then comes back.

One thing I noticed, is I had broke the smog pump off the exaust manifold. So I rebuilt it and replaced its hoses and it greatly reduced the tick and virtualy made it go away.

Also, Last friday I raised my car up and a lift and me and my classmates inspected the supspension and almost everything checked out. However as soon as we can we wanna check the headers. And we will re check the struts.

Corndogg
Now that I know you hit the exhaust that hard, chances are the tick is from the exhaust manifold or a crack in it. Does the noise seem to go away when the engine is hot?