CAR WON'T CRANK OVER

1996 Volkswagen Jetta

Engine problem
1996 Volkswagen Jetta 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 80000 miles

I have 1996 volkswagen jetta. My car won't crank over. We replace the crankshaft positon sensor and we also replace the ecm computer. Can you please help. Car still does not work?
Lorylei26

So I take it that it cranks over and wont start?Does it have spark? Fuel pressure?

Jack42
I am not sure if you received my reply. I have a spark. Not sure about fuel pressure, How can I check the fuel pressure.

Thanks for you quick reply to my question.

Lorylei26

Lorylei26
You will need a high pressure gauge for fuel injection. There should eb a schrader valve (like a tire) on the fuel rail to hook the gauge up to

Jack42
Im confused does your car crank over or not ??

if it doesnt and you just get a clicking sound when you turn your key .. 99% of the times its a starter or starter solenoid problem ..

You can test your starter by raping it with a hammer ( Not Hard though ) !
but rap it softly while trying to start your car if you get a slugish crank its a starter problem ..
first id check your solinoide by hooking a multimeter or test light upto your engine ground and your starter solenoid trigger terminal ..
as seen here ..
http://www.2carpros.com/first_things/car_will_not_crank.htm

but yeah your test light should illuminate or you should get a reading on your multimeter ..

also check your battery terminals with a multimeter .. should read 12.6 volts .. meaning you have a solid connection and its not a battery problem .. if you have a shitty read check your terminals for gunk build up in them clean any gunk ..

** If your car is cranking over but it wont start..

few suggestions are to check your oil levels .. if there low refill but becarful not to overfill or you could damage your catiyitic something or other i forget the name im a little tired .. blah .. but yeah when your oil levels are low to none your car will turn over w/o starting ..

also try, sometimes in my jetta i have to turn my headlights on and pump the gas 4-5 times and hold the gas in and then try starting it ..

ohh Disclamier ** Defently not a professional ..
im just trying to help with my own past exsperiances ..

=D i hope i helped !!

Deathpena1ty
Check spark plug firin order it should b
1
2 3
4

then check dist. Cap an rotor

Hparkhustler
I previously told you that the car does not crank over, but it does. We have no fuel to the injectors, there is no power going to fuel pump. In addition, upon cranking I am only getting 1 initial spark then nothing at the beginning of each cranking session. (Parts that have been replaced) both oxygen sensors, crankshaft positioning sensor, camshaft positioning sensor, (Hall Sensor) distributor, fuel pump rely, ignition coil, and a ECM. Other than old school troubleshooting of every electrical component, would there be a specific part that would control spark and fuel at the same time other than the parts that were replaced above. Please help, even dealer mechanics are stumped!

Lorylei26
Have they checked the igniton switch? I had a suburban that would crank real hard and not start(no spark or fuel) sometimes but other was fine, turned out to be the ignition switch. Worth looking at

Jack42
I actually replace the ignition switch in the summer.

Lorylei26
Have you replaced the main EEC relay?

Jack42
What is the simple terms for the main eec rely, and do you know where it is located and what does it control?

Lorylei26
Page 1 of 2