LOOSE CLUTCH WHEN STARTING CAR COLD

2003 Volkswagen GTI

2003 Volkswagen GTI 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 87000 miles

I have a 2003 VW GTI 2.8L VR6 with about 87,000 miles. Recently, when starting the car, the clutch is very loose and just barely engages when all the way at the floor. However, after about 5 minutes of driving, this problem goes away and the clutch again has pressure behind it and engages further up.

What do you think this is? Air bubble? One of the cylinders? I'm just not sure why this problem goes away after the car warms up.

Thanks,

D
Ishboo29

I'd start with inspection of cylinders for seepage leaks. if good bleed see if air is present. Place hose on bleeder valve other end in container with fluid
see diagram

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/198357_Graphic_2.png

Docfixit
No seepage leaks are visible from the outside. Would a leak necessarily have fluid coming out, or could there be a sealant problem where only air is going in? The strange thing is my fluid levels seem to be good. And again, no visible leaks.

Also, a further update, now it doesn't seem to correlate if the car is starting cold or not. While driving it is just slack, and I have to pump it several times to get enough pressure to get the car into gear. It's pretty bad.

Ishboo29
Did you bleed? Was air bubbles present? Can't see air getting in and no fluid leaks.

Docfixit