SPEEDOMETER

2001 Volkswagen GTI

2001 Volkswagen GTI 4 cyl Manual 136000 miles

3 weeks ago, I noticed that the clutch on my 2001 GTI was beginning to slip. Accelerating uphill became an exercise in futility by the end of the week.

I took it to a mechanic who told me that he needed to replace the entire clutch assembly and the flywheel. After some hesitation given the huge cost ($1400), I agreed.

Yesterday, I finally picked up the car. The clutch seems to be working fine, but now my speedometer is lifeless. No matter what the car does, the needle doesn't budge from 0. The mileage reading is digital, but hasn't went up a single mile since this problem started. After driving a few miles, my check engine light went on.

Immediately, I drove it back to the mechanic, who insisted the work he did could not have affected my speedometer or the check engine light. I don't know much about transmissions, but is it possible that he unplugged a sensor while messing with my clutch? Could the light have something to do with this, or is it all a coincidence like he claims?
GTIgirl

The vehicle speed sensor is located on the transmission and would HAVE to be disconnected to replace the clutch. Hopefully it is only disconnected and the mechanic did not break the plastic sensor during the repair.

The check engine light is most likely directly related. The control unit needs vehicle speed input to properly run the fuel management.

Dubtech