STARTING ISSUE/SMOKE/IDLE PROBLEM

1992 Volkswagen GTI

1992 Volkswagen GTI 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 188458 miles

i have had this car for about 4 days and when I first got it, it ran great and then started having trouble turning over the engine was cranking but nothing so we figured it was a fuel issue and I changed the fuel filter that has seemed to help thus far but now I am starting to get alittle bit of white smoke and it is moist after changing the fuel filter I had a friend rev the engine and it blew out some black smoke but I think that was air in the lines from where I took off the lines I drove it for awhile but sometimes it will smoke again not much though just seems to come and go this is the white smoke mind u. Also when I start it up seems to idle fine and all that but after alittle bit of driving it will idle rough and lets say I put my foot on the clutch to goto stop and the rpms will dive and almost kill out the car I had a 98 golf that did the same thing but I dont remember what caused that issue or how I fixed it cause at one point I did fix it. But other than that the car runs great drives perfectly!
Skvdubn

Is this an 8V or 16V motor?
Either way, at that mileage there is enough assumed engine wear for smoking. Worn, leaking valve stem seals and piston rings could cause the smoking. Just keep up on the oil maintenance and it will keep running.

The idle/stalling issue is probably not related. Check very closely for broken or cracked vacuum hoses, intake boot, and crankcase ventilation hoses. These cars are very sensitive to intake leaks.

Dubtech