OIL BURNING

2000 Volkswagen Golf

2000 Volkswagen Golf 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 19500 miles

Hi I am the second owner of a 1 owner VW GOLF 2L that has very low KM 19.500- it is using 1.2 L of oil every 1000KM on average, I have owned the car for 7months.

The dealer has suggested to strip down the motor to see if it is the rings or oil seals due to low usage!

Is this correct or should I look for somthing ealse- it does not leak any oil!

But does blow blue smoke at start up!
Would a additave help?

Regards,

mark.
Markpp

Hi there, the blue smoke on start up is usually vale stem seal, what is the grade of oil used and is it a synth oil?

Mhpautos
Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me the oil is Castrol Magnatec 10w-40 synth recommend by the VW dealer - would a Nulon addative be recommended?

Regards,

mark pp

Markpp
Hi there

The oil is by passing seals and also possibly rings, no amount of cure all in a can will fix this, it may slow it down for a bit, but thats all.

Mhpautos
Hi Thanks again, I could not afford the engine strip down! Would a long drive free up the engine e.G 200km plus.

Cheers,

Mark P

Markpp
Hi there,

No this will not work, the problem is that you will have worn components, the only thing that may help a little is change to a 20 W mineral oil, this is thicker and less prone to leak past seals, not a cure, but it may help slow the burning down.

Mark

Mhpautos