CABRIO TRANSMISSION SHIFTING PROBLEMS - MAY

2001 Volkswagen Cabriolet

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 80000 miles

Not sure if this is a problem (daughters car I don't usually drive). 4 speed automatic that I can't seem to tell or see that its shifting gears. When you give it gas the RPM and speed just increase with no apparent movement in the tach that shows a shift. I'm wondering if anyone knows what the RPM should be at each speed-gear. When the CAR is doing 45 the RPM is at about 3000. Worried the car may be in a lower gear - not sure
Mcguckin

Hi there thank you for the donation,

These cars have a silky smooth transmission shift, with out driving the car it is a bit hard to tell what it is doing, I would suggest that you visit a transmission specialist and get them to do a road test with you if you have any doubts about the performance of the transmission, best to be safe, I have not been able to find any shift pattern specs on this, so a road test will be the best way to determine if there is a fault.

Mhpautos
Mark - Thanks - I could relay use your help on the technical info. What should the specs call for the RPM to be in OD doing 50 MPH - 2800-3000RPM? I'm trying to figure out what the gear RPM's should be. I can't seem to find it on the net that; s my main question. Thank you

Mcguckin
Hi there,

yes, this info I rather hard to find, I will be checking some tech sites and will post what I come up with, but as to date I have hit the wall as well, but I will keep looking.

Mhpautos
Hi there,

I just can't find anything on this all i keep coming up with is this....

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/61395_Noname_90.jpg

I can get all the info on ratios , gear sets teeth counts etc, but nothing else, i will keep looking but i don't know if will do any good, here's hoping.

Mark

Mhpautos
Mark - Thanks I appreciate you trying. My concern and why I want to find out the guide for RPM's should be is that my wifes car (2000 Town & Country Van) with 3.3L RPM's at 1500 at 60MPH. I know its a larger engine than the VM (2.0L) but I'd like to see what the specs are as at 50 the RPM is about 3000. Thanks again

Mcguckin
I will have a talk to my local transmission re builder on Monday, they may have something for you,

Mark

Mhpautos
Hi Mark - Wondering if you had any luck

Mcguckin
HI there,

I had a chat with my transmission tech, they don't have rev to road speed averages, they work on live data from the ECU downloaded to a laptop while they drive, this is calculated as pressure and sensor readings under road speed and load conditions, I could almost hear the gears clicking in his head as he said that we haven't done tests like that in years, the technology has moved on well past that now, I am of the old school and I would have thought that this would be a fairly simple thing to get, but this has been not the case, I can only suggest that you get a local trans tech to take it for a drive and get their advice first hand, as I am in Australia, I can't advise on who is best suited to help you, I would suggest that you look for a national branded transmission group, I feel that they will give you the bast attention.

Mhpautos