CABRIO FUEL SYSTEM

1988 Volkswagen Cabriolet

1988 Volkswagen Cabrio 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 125000 miles

I am buying a GAS powered VW Cabrio from a dealership; they took the vehicle on a trade in. The dealership said the vehicle was fine when they made the trade, they were taking it out for a test drive with a perspective buyer and it broke down. They said they pulled the fuel filter off and he claims that tons of crap was plugged in the filter. They also said the tank was probably full of crap. I read one form where the person answering questions said " not to run the tanks dry" I am wondering if the fuel tank will have to be removed or even worst, the fuel system replaced. What is the chance, the dirt got to the injectors? If you can offer me some advice that would be great because, I am contemplating on buying the vehicle.
123mct

Check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel pump/ crap on the fuel filter-could also mean in the injectors and the intank pick sock-they have to drop the tank to investigate. For me I'll walk away.

My thoughts exactly, I just had to make sure. Thanks for the info.

123mct