IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER

1969 Volkswagen Beetle

Interior problem
1969 Volkswagen Beetle 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual

I lost my keys so I order a new lock cylinder. I would like to know how to replace the ignition lock cylinder on my vehicle. Thank you
Ktfjammer

REMOVAL: Proceed with Steps 1-8 in the Ignition Switch procedure.
With the key in the cylinder and turned to the ON position, pull the lock cylinder out far enough so the securing pin can be depressed through a hole in the side of the lock cylinder housing. Use a steel wire to depress the pin.
As the pin is depressed, pull the lock cylinder out of its housing.

INSTALLATION: Gently push the cylinder into its housing. Make sure the pin engages correctly and that the retainer fits easily in place. Do not force any parts together; when they are correctly aligned, they will fit easily together.

NOTE: On many 1976 and later Type 1's, and many Type 2's, the release hole was not drilled by the factory. Using the illustrations, drill your own release hole with a 1 / 8 in. Drill bit.

STEPS 1 - 8 of IGNITION SWITCH

Disconnect the steering column wiring at the block located behind the instrument panel and pull the column wiring harness into the passenger compartment.
Remove the steering wheel.
Remove the circlip on the steering shaft.
Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Insert the key and turn the switch to the ON position. On Type 3 vehicles it is necessary to remove the fuse box.
Remove the three securing screws and slide the switch assembly from the steering column tube.

It is not necessary to remove the turn signal switch at this time. If it is necessary to remove the switch from the housing, continue with the disassembly procedure.

Remove the turn signal switch.
After removing the wiring retainer, press the ignition switch wiring block upward and out of the housing and disconnect the wiring.

Thanks for using 2CarPros. Com!

Bluelightnin6
Thank you for the information. I do not have the keys to put it in the on position to take the lock out. Since I don't have the keys how do I take the cylinder lock out. Thank you again

Ktfjammer
You will either have to get a locksmith to turn it for you or give your VIN to a locale VW dealer to see if they can cut you a key.

Thanks for using 2CarPros. Com !

Bluelightnin6