OIL PUMP

1968 Volkswagen Beetle

Engine problem
1968 Volkswagen Beetle 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 85000 miles

i've had my '68 baja bug for a little over a month now and it has leaked oil every day since, i've gone through 3 oil changes, 2 gaskets and a tube of silicone sealant/gasket maker (which i just found out i shouldn't use) so NO more silicone. i just purchased a new oil pump and cover plate, my question is how do i take the old pump out and correctly put the new pump in without hurting my block?

thanks!

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/140137_1123071724_1.jpg

Pjwplane

They say vdubs don't leak oil, they mark their spot.
The proper procedure for changing your oil pump can be found in the book. &Quot; how to keep your vw alive forever.&Quot; by john muir
i recommend it highly.
I've kept my 73sb running and safe for over 12 years now with little more than that book, a few
basic tools, and a bit of patience.

You'd also want to check the torque on the heads,
when they get a little loose, they don't seal the pushrod tubes enough and you'll get some oil from there too. Also the sump plate on bottom of the case. DO NOT over tighten those 6 bolts! The plate will warp and you'll get oil.

MikeyDep
Someone else hit it on the head. If it don't leak, it ain't a real VW engine. I built a VW Dunebuggy in 1968, so this spring I will enter my 41st year of driving all over.

During those years I have swapped out the engine 5 times, all the way from a 36 Hp to a 60 Hp which I have in it now. This one was rebuilt by a speciality VW engine shop who really know their business. And guess what, it leaks oil. As a suggestion, you might want to try one of the " billet type" oil plates on the bottom of the engine and again, be careful how tight you tighten the bolts. However, the billets as less likely to warp.

Good Luck.
Bob Po

Bobpo