VAUXHALL TIGRA SENSOR PROBLEM

1995 Vauxhall Tigra

1995 Vauxhall Tigra 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 80000 miles

hi I brought my wife this car a year a go now and have had constent problems with the performance I have spent 100`s of pounds to put it right with no avail. It coughs and sputters and no power but starts first time. The engine managment light comes on. So took it to a garage and he said it was a valve in the engine which carbon builds up a lrg valve or something like that he linked it to a machine. So had that replaced. Spark plugs brand new. And still same prob.I have read a few forums and 1 guy said try replacing the The coolant temp sensor? And also smells of petrol now and agin? Any ideas would be very helpfull thanks

Mr D rowley.
Dave1104

Coolant temp sensor sends signals to the computer which in turn determines amount of fuel injected ! This could be your issue. Do you know the fault code which was stored in the computer !

Dave H
Thanks dave the garage did not tell me the code but the said that he rang vauxhall and all tigras above p reg had a special valve to stop the carbon bulid up is this correct. And thank you for your help dave. Is the coolent sensor hard to replace and round bout how much are they. Thanks again.

Dave1104
Most vehicles nowadays are fitted with an EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve .. the coolant temp sensor is a simple screw in type and will cost around £10 for the sensor an easy DIY repair ..

hope this helps

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_AAA2_181.png

Dave H
Thanks again where abouts is it placed. And where is the best place to get 1 from. Thats what we had replaced an egr valve.300 and somwhat quid. Thanks

Dave1104
The coolant temp sensor is screwed into the cylinder head close to the thermostat housing and has a wiring connector going to it !! we do not have a diagram as this vehicle was not released in the U.S. ! your local library or autoparts store will have a repair manual with diagrams and instructions .. the autoparts store will also be able to supply a new sensor

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_AAA2_195.png

Dave H
Thanks dave for your help will try and see how I go on. Lol. Thanks for all your help.

Dave1104