CLUNKING STEERING

2003 Vauxhall Meriva

Steering problem
2003 Vauxhall Meriva 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 35000 miles

Hi there. When going in a straight line, there is a clunking noise transmitted up the steering column, occurring with every bump driven over. As soon as any steering effort is applied (left or right) it disappears. I am assuming some play in the steering. Is it likely that I can " take up the slack" as it were, or doI have to replace the whole column? Thanks for any help you can offer.
DaveOlo

Start by checking all steering and suspension rubber mounts and bushings

Dave H
I had the same problem with my meriva, getting progressively worse over a couple of months. I came to the conclusion of it being the steering column and as you will know part of it is visible by the foot pedals then disappearing behind the plastic upto the steering wheel.

First: whilst driving along and the rattle is at its worst press your foot against the steering column behind your pedals, dangerous I know but hey, if the rattle reduces its probably same prob as mine.

Remove plastic covers under steering wheel using a torque drive.

On removing these you will see the column rises and stops at a clamp on the steering height mechanism.
Try and hold this clamp with one hand and shake the column with the other and you may feel the column moving in the clamp, if so turn steering wheel until you can see the bolt for this clamp which is not a normal bolt why would it be. If my terminology is right ithink its a 8mm torque socket.

If the was loose in the clamp remove the bolt and apply stud lock or a m6 spring or schnor washer and you will find that will do the trick. GOOD LUCK!

Nelly.com
Hi, this is a follow-up to the original question. Sorry it's been so long, haven't had much opportunity to look at the problem recently.

However - problem solved!

Dave H - the mounts and bushings seem to be OK.

Nelly. Com - when I checked the bolt on the steering clamp, it was definitely not as tight as it should have been. One spanner later, and the clunking has gone!

Many, many thanks - it had been suggested that I needed a whole new steering column -ouch!

Thanks again.

Regards,

Dave

DaveOlo
Thanks DaveH for the info on this. I have just fixed my 2008 Meriva : 0)
The bolt is a Torx E10 and you will need either a slim torx socket (note its a female socket) or a torx E10 spanner. The bolt on mine took a good turn and a half and the knock has gone. Saved a fortune. A BIG thank you all.

Lannies