AIR BAG LIGHT IS ON

2003 Toyota Tundra

Steering problem
2003 Toyota Tundra 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 97,000 miles

I took this newly acquired truck to a dealer to check it over and find out why the air bag light was on. They said the truck needs a spiral cable and sensor assembly to make the bags work again. There estimate was $850 incl labor.
I then went on the internet to get a quote from a well respected independent mechanic (I have never used them). He said he thinks I must be referring to a " clock spring assembly" that goes in the steering column. His quote is $330.
My question is do you think they are talking about the same part? I would hate to spend $330 and then find out the problem isn't repaired. On the other hand, I hate to spend $850 if I can get the same job for $330.
Donicas

Hi there,

If you can give me the fault code I can tell you what the problem is, post it here. You will need to get a scan do to get the code.

Mhpautos
Where do I find the fault code? I don't want to take it back to the Toyota shop unless I am getting it repaired there. They've already charged me $55.00 dollars just for looking at it. (They said they would apply it to the repair).
What I need to know is the spiral cable and sensor assembly the same part as the clock spring assembly.

Donicas
Hi there,

yes these are the same part, it's just that here we only refer to it as the clock spring, I had never heard of it being referred to as a spiral cable & sensor, just a case of different terminology for different country's.

Mhpautos
Thank you for the information

Donicas