TIMING ON A WITH FUEL INJECTION

1993 Toyota Tercel

I changed the timing belt, and after, my gas miliage went to 10 miles per gallon from 40 mph. Idid every thing the book said, from my alignment marks on the cam #1 cylender up, distributor pointing to #1, and timing mark on the mark. ITs driveable but misses more than before.I have tore it down twice again to make sure of the timing marks were right. My engine lite came on once, saying Ihad a bad Oxygen censor, so I replaced it, but didn; t help. It smokes more than it did, some smoke from leaking valve seals. Any help will be appreciated Chuck
Crcshannon

If ur car runs fine b4 and now it has a problem after the timing belt r& r. Most likely u missed something. Did u use the toyota service manual or just some el cheapo book from a parts store. Sounds like u had the timing belt installed incorretly. Lets do this. Do a static compression and email me the reading. And I'll followup. If u have ur cam line up with wrong cam timing. Too much fuel b4 or after valves close. Of course ur O2 sensor seeing too much hydrocarbon or not approriate O2 content --> turn on the chk engine lite. Its doing its job. What & where on god green earth that a component code came on that make u think a component indicate it is defective. Hey man. Stop throwing parts at a problem. Understand the sys 1st and verify it is a bad component

Kin chan