STARTER 94

1994 Toyota Tercel

Hi, I have a 1994 Toyota Tercel, 155,000 miles, 1.5L, 4 speed manuel trans.

Monday afternoon I went and started my car, started fine, backed out of driveway, and then she died. Tried to re-start car, engine would not crank. I have power to the radio, wipers, headlights, etc, etc. The next day I tried to push start the car, it still would not start, crankshaft is fine, I did a manuel test to confirm this, and yes I have fuel in the car. I almost forgot there is NOT a cliking noise from the starter, if it means anything the headlights do not dim when turning the key.

I had my next door neighboor look at the car. He claims to have put in a new starter, but when he turned the key the new starter broke. This is where it gets confusing. He claims it is due to either the bearing in the tranny, or the shaft that comes out of it. He speaks very poor english, so the translation is kind of choppy.

Is it at all possible for something in the tranny to ruin a starter as soon as you crank the engine, or is he trying to give me the shaft?

Best Regards
Edwin
Edwinflee

Tried to re-start car, engine would not crank.

Does it mean it refuses to crank the engine or it cranks the engine over but will not start

I had my next door neighboor look at the car. He claims to have put in a new starter. Who's car is this? Sounds like the neighbor is your backyard tech.

Isaac Hayes gave you the shaft allready-better change him and start by checking the battery/connections thoroughly, then to the clutch switch, starter relay, and starter. Also check your ignition fuse.