CYLINDER HEAD TORQUE SEQUENCE

1991 Toyota Tercel

1991 Toyota Tercel 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 152662 miles

I just removed and replaced the head gasket on my daughter's 1991 Toyota Tercel. I have the torque specifications, but I cannot find the Torque Sequence. Can you assist?
Kahart

The cylinder head bolts should always be tightened gradually in several passes using the correct sequence. As per Haynes Manual for Toyota Tercel 1987-1994: First round in sequence tighten to 22 ft/lbs, then second round tighten to 36 ft/lbs, then go back in third round and tighten each bolt another 90 degrees (or a 1/4 of a turn) or what you know specified torque specifications.

For 3E-3EE engine

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/89255_3E3EE_cylinder_head_1.jpg

Dsplc
DSPLC,

Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my question. What is the liklihood that there will be adverse effects from tightening them in the exact opposite order if the Haynes Manual 22 ft/lbs, 36 ft/lbs and 1/4 turn torque spec was followed?

Kahart
I have never done it on the opposite sequence but the warning in the manual states the following: Failure to follow this procedure exactly may cause either premature gasket failure or head damage

Dsplc