REVS UP AND DOWN AT IDLE

1983 Toyota Tercel

I managed to get an 83 toyota tercel 5 door, and I am stumped by a problem we uncovered. At first the idle was set high and untill the engine would warm up unless you kept down on the gas it would idle for a few and die. Once the engine heated up it would idle high, but stay there. We re-ajusted the idle according to the factory but now on start it revs up and down and I am stumped. Im not incredibly inclined with this kind of mechanical genius, and the few freinds I have that have any inclination are stuck. Soo im just kinda asking for someone to point me in a direction to start looking, because there is no smokeing and all the vacum lines look brand new.
Kusuriya

Clean out the throttle body/plate and the IACV.

Clean out the throttle body/plate and the IACV.[/Quote: 05d9ce52b1]

sorry im a little green whats the IACV?

Kusuriya
Clean out the throttle body/plate and the IACV.[/Quote: 7f5f2c6c09]

sorry im a little green whats the IACV?[/Quote: 7f5f2c6c09]

IACV= Idle Air Control Valve

I did that, and nothing, I checked the bolts on the carb and they were a little loose soo I replaced the base gasket, and that helped a little bit, but now while the engine is cold it is fine, as it warms up it gets a little worse and worse and the only adjustments that help it make the engine idle high.

Kusuriya
Lets try this-spray some carb cleaner on the carb choke plate-adjust it for initial opening and the fast idle cam @ 2nd highest spot @ 1200rpm.