DRIVE SHAFT

Toyota Rav4

How expensive might it be to fix/replace the drive shaft in my 1996 toyota Rav4?
Jill rose

What is wrong with it?

Need more info.

It makes a " thunk" sound and kind of jostles the car when I take my foot off the gas mostly in second gear and often when I'm driving. A friend said that is what it is and eventually it will have to be replaced.

Jill rose
Typically a bad drive shaft will exhibit a vibration. Not often do driveshafts have to be replaced.

Does the clunk happen when you first put it in gear with you foot on the brake pedal? If so, I would suspect a bad u-joint on the driveshaft.

Where does the clunk seem to be coming from? Under you, in front in the engine compartment? Behind you? Left side, right side?

Thank you. I don't notice any major vibration- minor perhaps when I'm on the highway. The klunk seems to be in the back and center of the car. Is a U joint expensive to maintenance?

Jill rose
Does the clunk happen when you first put it in gear with you foot on the brake pedal?

1996 toyota rav4 131,000 miles 4 cylinder

yes, I believe it does.

Jill rose
I would guess a couple hundred dollars?

Thank you.

Jill rose
Hmm.I like that flying reminds me during my teens. Sounds to me Mr. SW is right on track with the U-Joint also check for a center bearing psroblem.

A DIY can do it less than a couple/couple of hundreds. Heck, I'll do it for a 12pack of B/Lite and a round trip ticket

Ras,
Are you flirtin with the girls?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_happey_beer_2.jpg

:lol:

Page 1 of 2