COMPUTER CAUSING TRANSMISSION FAILURE

2001 Toyota Rav4

2001 Toyota Rav4 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 107700 miles

Is it credible that a failed computer could cause the transmission shift solenoids to be damaged thus requiring a transmission replacement?
Hunterek

Hi there,

Thank you for the donation,

This I feel is not so, the ECU is just a control unit sending and receiving information on engine & transmission parameters, the solenoid is just a valve, and if it fails normally there is a drive problem, depending on which one it is, but I find it hard to believe that it has destroyed the transmission, is this report from a general mechanic or a qualified transmission repairer? I would like to see the report, but one really needs to be able to view the problem first hand, otherwise I am only relying on an honest report from the tech doing the job, I would be getting a second opinion from a transmission tech, and comparing the reports, post your findings here I would be interested in knowing what they say.

Mhpautos
Thanks Mark,

That's what I thought which is why I asked the question.

The repair was done by a Toyota dealer in the Chicago area and I am in West Texas so wasn't there to really know what was going on.

That was the story the Service Manager gave me. I think I got a new computer ($1300) that I didn't really need. I know the solenoids were bad because another mechanic told me so before I took it to Toyota.

Why would solenoids go out at 107,000 miles anyway?

Hunterek
Hi there,
if I knew the answer to that one I would be a millionaire. Lol basically its just the luck of the draw, you may of just got a suspect one to start with, these solenoids are normally very reliable, but like anything, sometimes they just fail. With these it is usually a fault in the windings of the solenoid it self.

Mark.

Mhpautos
Mark,

My real question is how could the COMPUTER cause the solenoid windings (or any other part of the solenoid) to fail?

Kent

Hunterek
Hi there,

In my experience this is not the case, it is the solinoid that fails with out any fault of the ECU, now in saying that, if there was a higher input voltage that normal this may do it, but with out a full diagnosis of the ECU you just would not know, this is a problem that you could surmise on for hours, but a full diagnosing of the ECU would soon pick a fault, this is not done in car, it is done in a specialist tech work shop.

Mark

Mhpautos