COMMON TRUCK V6 ENGINE PROBLEMS.

Toyota Pickup

I see many posts for Toyota trucks with a V-6 engine with problems with loosing coolant, pulsing water in the radiator, water inside the engine or unknown engine misfire.

Toyota has known for a long time they have had problems with their headgaskets. They have issued a non-published recall (VO-6)to correct the problem.
Losone

I have been reading about the head gasket problem and would like to know if it is particular to one side or the other. My 5vzfe with 95k miles, is running strong, but has a loud valve tappet at the number one cylinder. I am losing coolant from the recovery tank slowly, and cannot find any external leaks. I have a lot of condesation coming from the exhaust during warnup and strong sulfer smell. My next test would be a compression/cylinder leak down. I just replaced the plugs " bosch twin Platinum" and oil change to mobil 1, 5w30. Mileage is getting better, around 19-20mpg. I just replaced the timing belt and water pump, original pump was weeping. Have been looking at replacing both HG's with Felpro kit. And then adjusting valves. No oil leaks. DO you recommend valve grind, head resurfacing before assembly? : Wink:

Skywalker165043
It is a common failure on your engine. I strongly recommend you visit a Toyota dealer ship and get the job done free under recall VO6. No 1 or 2 cyls are the first to go and then it will need gaskets.

Toyota recognizes the problem. Make sure you replace the knock sensor when the job is accomplished as it is under the intake.

Don't wait too long. Water is not compressable and you could suffer piston and head damage. I have seen Toyota replace both heads at no cost.

Good Luck and let me know

Losone

Losone
I thought about that, but wasn't sure if my truck would be covered under the recall? The local yoyta dealer is just up the street, I should make an appointment. Thanks.

I have never been a big fan of the dealership maintenance. I've always done all my own work, but this seems to be very involved work and time consuming. What would be a average estimate for them to complete the job? Would thry do both heads? I just spoke to the dealer and they told me my vin was not covered by the recall? Said that I could ignore the loss of coolant and if it gets worse would basically have to pay for the repair? I have read that some customers hve gotten stiffed by there dealers too!

Skywalker165043
I thought I'd ask this question in this forum, as I have a '99 Toyota Sienna CE wit 135K. I've been quoted prices for a tune up ranging between $600 and $900, which seem a bit high to me.

Are these estimates about right?

Montag
Im gonna chime in on the knock sensor. It is usually the pig-tail lead that goes from the sensor to the main wiring harness that goes out on those, have it replaced for sure.

Jack42
How can I find out information on this recall? I have a 91 pick up, V6, 4wd, 5 speed.

Toyota has known for a long time they have had problems with their headgaskets. They have issued a non-published recall (VO-6)to correct the problem.[/Quote]

Cherryjerry
There are a couple of earlier posts with links to some of the info. Best bet is to go to Toyota dealer and talk to them, be the squeeky wheel, and you will get greased. Spent a few years at a dealer and seen it many times. Do you have maintenance receipts for the cooling system and such? That would help your cause if the truck wasnt neglected, just poor design

Jack42