WON'T TURN OVER

1983 Toyota Pickup

1983 Toyota Pickup Front Wheel Drive Manual

My truck started up fine but it would not catch and actually turn over. I tried and tried (gas in, gas out, clutch in, clutch out, pumping the gas, in neutral), but it just wouldn't turn over. I did this for a good half hour today, giving it time to un-flood after the first effort.

Background: It has an old exhaust system and muffler that needs replacing, and it was sitting unstarted for a week, but the weather is warm, and it wasn't parked uphill, which sometimes affects whether it starts up right away.

HELP? THANKS!
83ToyotaPickup

Do below to determine if its fuel or spark problem.

Cranks but no start condition: Fuel and Spark: Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine at least 3/16 away from ground -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it.

Compression: If both fuel and spark is present-check the valve and ignition timing, this will lead you to problems
with compression and valves opening and closing at the wrong time/broken or jumped timing
belt/chain.

Thanks for all the great advice -- it gives me a place to start.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

I'm grateful for this forum -- you guys do good stuff!

Cheers!

Toyota83Pickup

83ToyotaPickup