SPEEDOMETER QUITS

Toyota Other

I have a 1998 Toyota Taoma 4x4 4 cyl. My speed. Is dig. Readout the last 2 times I drove it the speed. Quits the tach the milelage and then it comes back on after I crank it again. The last time I drove it it done the same thing this time the check eng. Light came on but it went out the 3rd time I drove it I call toyota and they said they never heard an speedometer problem like this so this is new to them. Please let me know what to do and maybe I can fix it. My milelage is 93,000 Thank You Randy.
Tgru

Have the vehicle speed sensor check at the tranny-Be advised that toyota may have 2 one at the dash.
Go for the tranny 1st.

Thank you for the reply, how would I go about checking the tranny to find out the problem, also would I need to buy a meter to check this. Thank You Randy.

Tgru
Take it out-turn key to On-now spin it while someone look at the speedo if wiggle/fluctuates-its not engaging the gear in the tranny.

BTW toys are known to have 2 one at the dash-its a very tricky device to deal with

Thank You I'll Try that, I also was told there is a speed sensor control on ether the side or top of the tranny he said its got 1 screw and a wire harness and also he said the same thing you said the gear in the tranny is that true about the wiring on the tranny. Thank you Randy

Tgru
@ the tranny the VSS sometimes just not engaging right therefore its not spinning inside and not giving an AC signal back to the computer.