OIL CHANGE PROCEDURES

2009 Toyota Highlander

2009 Toyota Highlander 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 5666 miles

I have a new Toyota Highlander 4cyl
I need to know what tools I need and how to proceed with changing the oil and oil filter myself.
Any help is appreciated!
Bruce.shulman

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for the donation.

For oil replacement you would need a drain pan and a 14 or 17 mm wrench for removing the drain plug.

For the oil filter, a filter wrench is required.

No special tools are required.

This post is late, but better late than never-the-less.

In 2008 Toyota redesigned all the oil filters to be internal to the engine. Upon completing this engineering masterpiece a new filter socket was introduced. It is very stiff and fits only this size filter. To date, no aftermarket companies build this tool and Toyota is still the only one that has them. We have removed the filters using some brute force methods, but it leaves the housing scarred and could eventually leak oil from the damage or become impossible to turn.

Until at least 2010 I recommend taking your Highlander to the dealer for oil changes. Try calling around to a well known shop and ask if they have the correct size wrench. (Do not accept an answer of " I'm sure we do.&Quot; This means they don't).

Good luck.

Knowyourauto
Thank you for the input. It is very much appreciated.

I would like to apologise for the mistake made while replying to the question.