IT SMOKES WHEN STARTED UP

2003 Toyota Highlander

2003 Toyota Highlander 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 51000 miles

Everything on car is in very good shape, except, I have been noticing when I start up the engine, smoke comes out of the exhaust. This doesn't seem right to me. I had a 2000 Jeep Cherokee with 110,000 miles and it never smoked a bit. Please help. Thanks
Terrycase

Hi there,

If the smoke is blue, it will be oil and you may have a problem with the vale stem seals. If it keeps smoking after start up a more serious problem may exist. If black smoke, this will be over fueling, may be a faulty injector, if white smoke coolant and a possible head problem will be the cause. What colour is the smoke, and how long does it last?

Mhpautos
I have the similar problem. The smoke is blue color but it goes away when I am driving. I think it is oil burning but what is the cause?

Bodymender
Hi there,

If you get a puff of blue smoke on start up this is normally a sigh of worn valve stem seals, oil is passing the seal and running down the valve stem into the combustion chamber.

Mhpautos